Obtain a Certificate of Free Sale from Virginia Economic Development Partnership
Certificates of Free Sale are sometimes requested by foreign purchasers to assure that products are freely available and sold in the United States. Depending on the nature of the product, a U.S. company can obtain a Certificate of Free Sale from the appropriate regulatory authority. When a regulatory agency should issue a Certificate of Free Sale, Virginia Economic Development Partnership will not issue one. If your product is regulated by any of the following agencies, use these sources to obtain a Certificate of Free Sale:
- Environmental Protection Agency – Certificate of Free Sale
(Certificate of Registration or Gold Seal Letter)
- Food and Drug Administration – Export Certificate Contacts
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services – Contact VEDP
Virginia Economic Development Partnership will only issue Certificates of Free Sale if:
- The product is manufactured in Virginia
- The product is not governed by a regulatory agency such as the EPA, FDA, or VDACS
- The appropriate regulatory agency will not issue a certificate based on a specific exclusion or other circumstance
To request a Certificate of Free Sale, please complete our Certificate of Free Sale – Request Form.
To submit payment for a Certificate of Free Sale, please click here.
The issuance of Certificates of Free Sale is determined on a case-by-case basis. The cost per Certificate is $75.00 for standard processing (2 weeks) or $100 for expedited processing (3-5 business days). In addition to the completed form, your request must include:
- Original labels for each product. If labeling is in a foreign language, it must be translated into English. The labels must be flat; do not send products with the label applied to them. Labels in PDF or scanned format are acceptable.
- If applicable, proof in writing of denial of Certificate of Free Sale from a regulatory agency indicating that they are unable to issue the certificate(s) in the event the product(s) would normally be governed by such an agency.
Please direct any questions and return the completed form and attachments to:
Virginia Economic Development Partnership - International Trade
901 East Byrd Street, FLR 19
Richmond, VA 23219